- Wood, Stone & Marble Fireplace Mantels & Mantel Shelf FAQ's
- Fireplace Mantel, Mantel Shelf and other Articles
- Cast Plaster Decorative Products - General Information
Cast Plaster Decorative Products - General Information
General Information, Tips and Techniques for All Cast Plaster Products
1. When installing any cast plaster product, always:
- Check local building codes for requirements
- Wait until you have the product to take final measurements rather than depending upon the specifications, as component dimensions are approximate and vary slightly.
2. Before you cut into a structure, inspect and note locations of electrical wiring, plumbing, supports, and load bearing areas, in the area in which you are working.
3. When installing Cast Plaster products:
- Use coated fasteners to prevent rust
- Countersink fasteners into product 1/8” or less
- Fill holes with plaster patch or non-shrinking spackling
- Use feathering techniques to blend patches into the design
4. When attaching cast plaster products to walls or ceilings, use a construction adhesive (e.g., Liquid Nails) or drywall adhesive to ensure complete bonding.
5. If finished walls around the cast plaster item are not level and even with back surface of our product, use a paintable caulk to fill uneven gaps.
6. Our cast plaster (aka gypsum, hydrocal) products accept finishes well:
- For painting, first use a primer (then your choice of paint) or,
- Seal, stain, and varnish
- Faux finish
Note: To accommodate an easier installation, we recommend finishing the product first, then installing the product, followed with finish touching up, as needed.
*Installer/user is responsible for installations and finishes, and assumes full liability for the suitability and installation of the product